Whether you need a recognised birth certificate for your baby or yourself, this article will give you all the needed information on how to register a birth certificate in Nigeria.
Ideally, every person born in Nigeria is entitled to a birth certificate and it is usually issued by the National Population Commission; such is the body saddled with the responsibility of registering every single person born in the country.
3 Ways to Getting Birth Certificate in Nigeria
Equally, there are 3 distinct ways of getting an original birth certificate in Nigeria; each depending greatly on the timing and official place of birth. These include:
1. Birth Certificate for a person born in the hospital;
2. Birth Certificate for a person born outside the hospital; and
3. Birth Certificate for a grown-up person.
Be enlighten that the procedures for acquiring a birth certificate for a baby that is born in any health institution (hospital) is quite different from that of a baby born outside hospital and so is for an adult who lost him and needs another one.
Steps to register a birth certificate for a baby born in the hospital
- Every hospital or medical institution in Nigeria will issue out a certificate (to the baby’s parents) to proof the birth of the child;
This birth report issued out by the hospital will then be taken to any nearest National Population Commission (NPC) registration center or in the hospital (if any);
The same proof of birth of the child given to you at the hospital will then be submitted at the National Population Commission. Thus, a certificate of registration or birth certificate will be issued out for the baby.
Note: The proof of birth issued to you at the hospital is not valid and recognised as a birth certificate only the one issued out by the NPC that counts.
How to register a birth certificate for a person born outside the medical institution
It’s very common in Nigeria where a child will be given birth to in the church, at home, and many other places that aren’t a medical institution, health center, or hospital.
So to get a valid birth certificate for such a child, you will have to abide by the following processes:
- Visit the Local Government Authority of the community in which the child was born to acquire an affidavit to serve as the proof of birth.
- After which you’ll take the given affidavit (as proof of birth) to any nearest National Population Commission (NPC) registration center in a hospital, local government headquarters, or any designated NPC office.
Kindly submit the acquire affidavit as proof of birth to any official at the NPC office and you’ll be offered a certificate of registration or birth certificate in return.
How to register a birth certificate in Nigeria for a grown-up
Whether you lost or misplaced your birth certificate, lost it to an inferno, or don’t even have it at all, as an adult who is over 18, you can register a birth certificate in Nigeria following the steps below:
- Visit the nearest National Population Commission office in your State (Local Government) Secretariat.
- When you get there, you’ll be offered a form to fill accordingly for your new birth certificate. In most states, this form comes with a price.
- In most cases, there’ll be a need for you to visit the High Court to get an “Age Declaration Affidavit” before they can issue you the birth certificate.
For the minors, there is a need for a parent or guardian to be present before you can get the Age Declaration Affidavit. But for the adults, what is required is an attestation letter.
However, the issued Age Declaration Affidavit or attestation letter can be or be submitted to the nearest NPC office and a certificate of registration or birth certificate will be given to you in return.
- How to check NIN Number online with USSD code
- How to Apply for International Passport in Nigeria 2021 (Requirements, Process)
- How to Register an Enterprise in Nigeria
- How to Register a Vehicle in Nigeria (2021)
- How to use NYSC Portal dashboard to correct personal details
- Meet Boluwatife Treasure Bankole: The child actress from Nigeria
- How To Register Vodafone Cash Ghana
- How to register an NGO in Nigeria in 2021
- How to Migrate to Canada from Nigeria in 2021?
- Ivara Esege Biography: Age, Career, Nationality, Marriage, Wife